One thing many clients do not realize is that you can send an email as a text message to virtually any phone. While smartphone's have email, many other phones do not, or it is not the "push" email that made the Blackberry so fast in its heydey. Email to text gateways are operated by all the major carriers and all you to send any email (with length limitations) to any phone with text capability.
Here are the common gateways:
- T-Mobile: email@example.com
- Virgin Mobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cingular: email@example.com
- AT&T: firstname.lastname@example.org or @mms.att.net (for mms)
- Sprint: email@example.com or @pm.sprint.com (for mms)
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org or @vzwpix.com (for mss)
- Nextel: email@example.com
- BoostMobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
Just replace phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number that you wish to text. Most carriers have a limit of around 500 characters (SMS limit) so keep the emails short and don't attach anything.